In 1892, Mr. Corrigan bought a large lot and the home of Catherine
Finkbiner on the corner of New and Main Streets. The
House was torn down and the Spring City Hotel was
built. It took 4 years to build the new
building. It had 50 rooms and was a real
showplace with gas and electric lights, flushable
toilets, hot and cold running water in the bathrooms,
steam heat on all floors and dumb waiters to carry
food to all the rooms.
Corrigan sold the hotel in 1925 to Mr. Truman
Wade of Phoenixville.
It remained unoccupied for several years. In
1933, Mr. Wade acquired a liquor license
and open the bar. 1n 1933 the Hotel rented some
rooms to the Spring City Post Office, which
had been previously located on Main and
Hall Streets. The
Post Office remained in the Hotel until February
1957, when it moved to its present location
on New Street.
of 1951, Mr. Wade sold the Hotel to Dominic
Dellaquila, Paul Mastrangelo, and Dominic
remodeled and redecorated the hotel with
an ethnic Italian flair.
Mr. Dellaquila bought the interests of his partners.
By 1967, the hotel had 28 rooms, 4 apartments, a
bar, cocktail lounge, office, restaurant, and various
other rooms. The Hotel was famous for
the female impersonators that came from Philadelphia
and Reading for weekend shows.
Mr. Dellaquila sold the Hotel to his grandson
and wife, Bill and Debbie Hoffman. Since then,
the pub has been remodeled. The office
relocated making room for a small dining
area that holds 30 people. The new owners completely
remodeled the main dining room with brass
and glass accents to create a warm Victorian atmosphere. A
greenhouse was also added on the front of
the dining room. The most recent addition has been
to the pub area where local artist Patrick
Young painted a mural depicting Spring City in the 1800's.
The spire that is prominent in many old photographs
was lost to a fire sometime in the 1970's.
The hotel once served as a bomb shelter. The sign
is still posted on the side porch.